What are stem cells?
Contrary to what most people believe, there are two types of stem cells used in the advancement of modern medicine. At Minimally Invasive SpineCare®, we are helping pave the way for the advancement of medicine using the most viable, and ethical method of stem cell healing called Adult Stem Cell Therapy. In living organisms, an adult stem cell is an undifferentiated cell that can produce other cells that eventually make up specialized tissues and organs that they inhabit. Adult stem cells are found in some tissues in the adult body, such as the epidermis of the skin, the lining of the small intestine, and the bone marrow, where they act as natural healers in the regeneration of old or worn tissue.
Adult Stem Cell Therapy
Adult stem cells move throughout our bodies and have vast potential and limitless capabilities. Although recent advancements in modern medicine have made adult stem cell therapy more widely known, it has been used to successfully treat cancer patients for over 40 years. At Minimally Invasive SpineCare®, we strive to be on the forefront of the advancement of medicine for the sake of our patients. We fully understand the importance of the discovery, and practice, of unlocking the body’s secrets to heal itself, and using the adult stem cell treatment approach allows us to do so.
In this process, called adult (mesenchymal, multipotent) stem cell therapy, we harvest the patients’ own stem cells from bone marrow and adipose tissue to allow for the healing and regenerating process for both minimally invasive surgical and non-invasive procedures. Adult stem cell therapy is used in treating the injured, damaged, or painful areas due to aging or degeneration in the spine, knees, hips, shoulders, feet and ankles. Once injected, they function as the building blocks for tissue re-growth and increased blood flow to the ailing areas. The goal of the treatment is to replace damaged cells and to promote the growth of new blood vessels and tissues in order to help the target organ function at a largely improved capacity. The risk of rejection by the patient’s body is virtually non-existent, since the Adult Stem Cells received are directly from the patient. We use a highly advanced method of extracting the adult stem cells from the patient, and recycling them in their own bodies without manipulation during the procedure. This process makes our stem cell treatment safe, ethical, and effective in fulfilling positive medical outcomes. It is important to note that adult stem cell therapy is not controversial because it involves the use of a patient’s own blood and NOT derived from embryos.
General Advantages of Adult Stem Cell Therapy:
- Natural and Ethical: Regenerative solutions replace damaged cells and tissue by making the most of the body’s natural regenerative potential, not just implant a temporary or artificial fix, and does so using the patient’s own stem cells, not taken from an embryo.
- Safe and Effective: Because the Adult Stem Cells are derived directly from the patient’s own blood, there is virtually no possibility for rejection, as compared to donor replacement organs and blood transfusions.
- Positive Side Effects: Stem cells also behave like beacons that alert the body to send its own regenerative resources to the site and reactivate the healing process in situations where the body would not have done so voluntarily.
- Proven Results: Clinical results thus far have proven positive. Remarkably, no patient has responded negatively to the cells and the small percentage of patients who did not respond to treatment showed no negative side effects.
- Another Chance at Life: With no side effects, when conventional methods fail, the risk is considered low, compared to possibilities.
- The Sooner, the Better: Treatment now, is better than treatment later. Just as with other medical treatments, time can make symptoms and complications more advanced and even harder to recover from.